Friday, June 19, 2009

P.J Oosthuizen (Kobus) 19 June 1928-9 June 2000
Businessman,Sportman,Rotarian,Round Tabler,Freemason,Go-getter...
My Dad and my Hero
Today my dad would have been 81 years of age. As I sit here and enjoy the beautiful memories he left behind i smile with happiness and pride having been fortunate to call him my dad...A farmboy from Kleinjongensfontein came from very poor but proud Afrikaner stock. 3rd oldest of 11 kids bright as a penny from day one.He always excelled at everything he put his mind too..Rugby, Fishing & Literature. At school he was a brilliant scholar and was awarded a Bursary to study in England which he sadly had to decline because my Grandfather did not trust the English. My mother was the love of his life to his dying day he would confess her to be the most beautiful women he ever laid his eyes on. My dad was a service above self guy always actively taking the lead in community affairs serving in Rotary,Round Table and as Freemasons. I arrived late in my parents marriage and was the apple of his eye...Time spent with him was always precious as a busy Businessman they were sadly few growing up.... But his love was shown in giving our family the best he could afford.... He lived a full life full of adventure travelling the world and Africa.... Toured right around the Globe from the Americas to Asia... Fishing all over the globe from Marlin in Florida to Tigerfish in the Okavango.... He was a tough dad encouraging me to be tough stand my ground and debate issues... Teaching me about life one book at a time through writers like Eugene Marais and giving me my first Andre P Brink at 15...so i can learn to think independant and liberally about the politics of the day... His favourite thing was to provoke a debate just by taking an opposite viewpoint from mine...He played gholf and chess with me and cared about the person I would one day become. Instilling the fact that one must add value to life... My dad showed me how to succeed against all odds even when times were tough... When diagnosed with lung cancer we as a family battled it together not allowing him to give up... Sadly in his later years pessimism would get hold of him from time to time as it does when we get older... But his sweetness and hospitality was just beautiful and sincere.We he would always make sure that when I arrived home their was biltong droewors and something nice to eat.... Today I celebrate my hero who have made me the tough cookie I am today and sunday I celebrate be dad who was the best father one can hope for .... I do truly miss youre presence in my life but your wisdom and memories travels with me wherever i go.

No comments: